logo

Round Top R/C Expo - November 11-13, 2021 - Round Top, TX

A new aviation expo is coming to beautiful uptown Round Top, Texas (located between Houston and Austin).

Splash

Round Top R/C Expo

Population is normally around 80 folks but, three times a year, it swells to about 200,000 seekers of fine antiques and "assorted junk" during the "Round Top Antique Festival". Google the event and "The Compound Round Top Texas" and you'll get an idea of how we're gonna party with planes!

The Compound is where the vendor exhibits and swap meet will be located. A little further down the road at Wahalla Farm is where the Texas Warbird Thunder Flying Team will be hosting a Giant Scale Warbird Fly-In Spectacular. How long is the runway?? Models will fly off a 1,000 feet of finely mowed grass while the BIG stuff will have roughly 5,500 feet of clear space. We're expecting a special visit from full scale aircraft such as a P-51, Stearman, and a couple of T-6s to put on an airshow of their own.

Folks that put on The Toledo Show all those years are invited to come on down and discover our weather and hospitality. We dress a little different down here in Texas during November so you can leave your cold weather gear home. A cowboy hat, cowboy boots, and Bermuda shorts will do just fine. Round Top and the surrounding area have several bed & breakfast places, hotels, camping, and plenty of room for those big RV's. And boy, do we have great food!! Aside from the Friday Night Texas BBQ feast we're gonna put on, there are tons of fine eating establishments scattered around the town.

And we haven't forgotten about the ladies! Gentlemen, while you're getting your airplane fix, let your wife/girlfriend/guest know about all the shops and boutiques in and around Round Top. There is this one place operated by a couple of ladies seen on TV that are known as the "Junk Gypsies". This shop is "Texas Sized" and is full of great treasures. There is something for everyone here.

We look forward to seeing all of you at the very first Round Top R/C Expo! Check out the website for more information. RTRCExpo.com

Round Top, Texas, BIG time small!

Full page ad appearing in June edition of AMA Model Aviation magazine.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 05-14-2021 at 02:40 PM..
Old 05-14-2021, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
Heck yeah! I’m all over this one. Good to see a big meet coming to Texas! Looking forward to it. Thanks, Y’all!
Motomazzo is online now Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2021, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,968 Posts
Round Top Tx……. Big time small!!

Hi all!
Thanks to Lee for putting this on here….. I have been working hard with a big team of great model enthusiasts to bring a show to Texas. We are centrally located in the mid south of the United States so a lot of you can make it here. You can get to the Austin/Bergstrom airport or the Houston airports….. Take your pick.

All roads lead to Round Top and the site is absolute wide open Texas space with plenty of Texas hospitality.
Friday night BBQ? Check! R/C Round Table? Check! Parking on site?
Check! (You can park your trailers, you can park you humongous RV’s
and you can tie up your horse next to the longhorn steers!) Not joking about that last one…. The steers will be by the entrance gate. Try not to pet or ride them!

Texas Warbird Thunder will be hosting the fly-in. We are expecting a whole squadron of the best Warbird pilots from all over. We’ll be dedicating the new field and expecting local and state dignitaries to help us get the festivities going. And we’ll be having some former military pilots from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, The mid-east, and Afghanistan theaters.
Did I fail to mention there’d be fly-overs by full sized warbirds? I say NOT
GOOD ENOUGH for our guests! Let them warbirds land so y’all can walk around ‘em! Now you’re talking!
Check out www.rtrcexpo.com and get all the info you need to have a great three day Texas size good time. Check your AMA magazine for a full page ad as well as Flying Giants and RC Groups for all the latest info concerning the Round Top Expo! Don’t forget to check out our vendors and if you have a need for a swap meet, you’ll probably find this will be the biggest bunch of swap tables in Texas! Come on out to Round Top….
Big time small!
Wango Tango
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 05-15-2021, 09:59 PM
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,968 Posts
Impromptu #2 today!

We held Impromptu # 2 today with 50 pilots and over 120 planes. This was a meet and greet that gave everyone a chance to fly at the new field and the consensus was that everything was on track to be the best that it could be. The BBQ was pretty good cuisine and well catered. We are getting into the Warbird calendar and are thinking we will have one more Impromptu (#3) sometime before the November event. We’ll make that decision soon. Check here for changes. Monday we will be making another big change we think everyone will find uniquely different.
This will certainly be something not ever tried but we are trying to make everything we do a great experience for an inaugural event.
WT 👍👍
Old 05-16-2021, 06:09 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
Well, I (for one, apparently) sure appreciate your hard work on this event. It really sounds great already. Anything like this that promotes the hobby and provides an outlet for modelers and spectators alike is much-appreciated, especially in these times when it seems the hobby is in decline. Thank you again for your efforts and I am definitely putting this on the calendar. I am 3 hours away in southern DFW, which is super-close in Texas miles. If you need anything, shoot me a PM!

JAM
Old 05-17-2021, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by Seabrookflyer
Team JR/DFA
United States, TX, Seabrook
Joined Dec 2016
8 Posts
Two events back to back for Texas! Ice House the week before this one. Just take a two week vacation and hit both! Hope to make it to this one!
Seabrookflyer is offline Find More Posts by Seabrookflyer
Old 05-17-2021, 07:59 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrookflyer View Post
Two events back to back for Texas! Ice House the week before this one. Just take a two week vacation and hit both! Hope to make it to this one!

Is that associated with the joint on the river? If so, I LOVE that place. Saw The Toadies there several years ago after floating the river all day. Epic show! Damn, those were good times.......the parts I can remember, LOL!! Dang, I love Texas.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:05 PM
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,968 Posts
Inches vs feet….

Model events such as this in this day and age are measured in inches and feet…. Four months ago we were talking in terms of “what if.”
Here we are four months and a lot of hard work later and things are looking really incredible. If you’re looking for something really incredible to attend toward the end of this year’s flying season, come on down/ over/ up to Round Top, Tx.. I promise you this: You’re gonna love what you experience at Thunder Field….. We’re not through coming up with the good stuff!
WT 👍👍
Old 06-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,968 Posts
Model Aviation Mag

Check out the full page ad in Model Aviation Magazine.... The ad will contain new info in the July issue. All events (Vendor show and swap meet) will now be held in the same location as the fly-in!
You won't believe how we're going to accomplish this! Stay tuned....
WT

Quick Reply