logo

Pilot Bio - Pat Hartness of Triple Tree

Mr. Pat Hartness can be recognized by his straw hat, warm smile and love of the RC hobby and aviation in general!

Splash

Pat Hartness

Thomas Patterson “Pat” Hartness was born in Greenville June 13, 1941. He became involved with aviation at the early age of seven, when he first flew control line aircraft and then free flight model aircraft. Aviation has deep roots in his family, with his mother and his father (Tom and Edna) flying with the Civil Air Patrol.

Pat’s first full scale homebuilt was a Volksplane he built in 1971. His personal aircrafts include: The Volksplane, BT-13, Stearman, Spartan Executive, an Ultralight, and an AirCam.

Pat expanded his love of aviation by hosting both Radio Control and General Aviation events at his familys homestead property in Greenville, SC. The first event was held in 1983 and called the Big Bird Fly-In. The popularity of the events grew and Pat needed to find a bigger place to host his friends.

In 1997, Pat purchased property in Woodruff, SC and started sculpting Triple Tree Aerodrome. Having an eye towards the future, he established the Triple Tree Aerodrome a 501c3 non-profit. Pat gave the land to the non-profit as his gift to aviation.

Triple Tree now accommodates thousands of flying enthusiasts each year, not only from South Carolina but nationally and internationally. Thousands of pilots and aircraft have been a part of the Triple Tree Flying experience.

Pat’s dream of an education center where both children and old timers can continue learning about aviation is still ongoing. Years later, Pat is still our visionary thinker and you will often see him out on the Komatsu helping to build his dream.

He is often asked, when are you going to be done developing Triple Tree? He says with a smile, “When I'm done.”

Without question, Pat’s goal has always been “to ignite and expand the passion for aviation,” and he lives by those words today.

Learn More

Head over to the Triple Tree site to learn more and support this great RC resource!

Old 10-25-2021, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2015
95 Posts
Pat is always such an inspiration for what he does for the flying community. Can't think of a more beautiful place to fly as well!

Benton
Benton3dflying is offline Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2021, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,199 Posts
Pat is a true gentleman. He has created a "Heaven on Earth" for aviation enthusiasts. If you haven't been there yet.... Change that!!!!!
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Old 10-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by traderdave
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Jan 2017
6 Posts
attending Joe Noll

Joe Nall
traderdave is online now Find More Posts by traderdave
Last edited by traderdave; 10-26-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by traderdave
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Jan 2017
6 Posts
attending Joe Noll

I have only missed 2 yrs attending the fly in. one was because of the covid virus. Can any one beat this attendance record.

Dave Mc.
traderdave is online now Find More Posts by traderdave
Old 11-11-2021, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by bobfily
Joined Feb 2021
3 Posts
Such love for heaven and one's work cannot but inspire! Unfortunately, aircraft engines generate heat, noise, particles and gases that contribute to climate change and global dimming. This is very bad for the environment and on https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/human-impact/ I read many essay examples on human impact that opened my eyes to how much aeroplanes and cars harm our nature. This is very sad, and more and more often I think that aviation is no longer so interesting to me and causes less admiration than before.
bobfily is offline Find More Posts by bobfily
Last edited by bobfily; 11-18-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply