logo

PowerBox Atom 18-Channel Radio

Here's some info on the PowerBox Atom radio coming early next year.

Splash

The Atom is Coming in February

Here's some info on the PowerBox Atom radio coming early next year.

"With our ATOM remote control system, a new standard is introduced in the upper middle class segment. With a lot of know-how from CORE, a new development of the electronics, adapted software, a smaller Linux computer and a restructuring of the housing production, a system could be created that is unparalleled in terms of price-performance. Above all, the ingeniously simple operating concept has been adopted 1: 1 from the CORE, even model files can be exchanged between ATOM and CORE. When it comes to redundancy, there are typically no compromises in PowerBox: the radio system and the power supply are redundant."

The Atom looks great and has a ton of features. Selling price is around $1790. Is this radio on your list of upgrades for next year? What do you like about it or what do you not like about it? Tell me below down in the comments.

See the PowerBox Atom Radio Here

Old 12-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,005 Posts
You asked….

I’m sure this radio is full of features and there are other brands that have great features…. Atom, Flysky, Frsky, Lemon, Orange, etc….. Maybe it’s the names or the toyish looking look they have that disagrees with me.
And if I’m gonna shell out in the neighborhood of 1700-3000 bucks for a transmitter I’m thinking 32mz, 28X , IX 20 , Jeti, kind of looks, quality and features are more to my liking. Not starting a brand war…… just my preferences and opinion. Don’t shoot the messenger!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2021, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Txmustanglyer
United States, TX, Boerne
Joined Nov 2021
351 Posts
Looks like a rebranded X20 with a different OS and some cosmetic switch and knob changes.
Txmustanglyer is offline Find More Posts by Txmustanglyer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 12-08-2021, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmustanglyer View Post
Looks like a rebranded X20 with a different OS
NO, the Powerbox Tx came out long before the X20
Frsky first started copying Jeti ideas and now they want to emulate the Powerbox software for a fraction of its price.
haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by highhorse
memphis tn. USA
Joined Aug 2007
22 Posts
I have an 18mz and think this looks better, suspect that it may have better features etc and am glad there’s a broadening of choices, especially from a name as strong as Powerbox. On the other side of the coin -and I am probably alone here- I don’t like alcantara. Looks great, feels great, but how the heck is it not just disgustingly filthy after one hot summer day at the field?

I wish there were more early adopter dudes near me who’d buy this so I could look over their shoulders!
highhorse is offline Find More Posts by highhorse
Old 12-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highhorse View Post
I have an 18mz and think this looks better, suspect that it may have better features etc and am glad there’s a broadening of choices, especially from a name as strong as Powerbox. On the other side of the coin -and I am probably alone here- I don’t like alcantara. Looks great, feels great, but how the heck is it not just disgustingly filthy after one hot summer day at the field?

I wish there were more early adopter dudes near me who’d buy this so I could look over their shoulders!
Not an issue and it unscrews and you can wash it but I have had the Core since it was available here and my grips haven't got nasty yet. And I fly a LOT
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 12-09-2021, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by rrembert
West Palm Beach, Fl
Joined Feb 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highhorse View Post

The Alcantra comes off easily for cleaning. I’ve had mine for almost two years (I live in the Florida heat and humidity) and it is in great shape.
rrembert is offline Find More Posts by rrembert
Old 12-09-2021, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Not an issue and it unscrews and you can wash it but I have had the Core since it was available here and my grips haven't got nasty yet. And I fly a LOT
hello sir, how do you like the CORE?

When you hold it and program it, does it feel like you are holding a high quality radio?
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 12-10-2021, 01:52 AM
Find More Posts by bluefear
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2013
309 Posts
lol people in some posts comparing Core to Frsky, Flysky, Orange, they need to step out of this hobby for sake heavens,

I have a Core and i've never used a better radio period! i've used both DX18 G2 and a Futaba 18MZ previously, they are not even close to begin with

Once you have the telemetry and accessories dialed in with Core, you'll never turn back (i'm sure Jeti is the same level, pick one that you like more)
bluefear is offline Find More Posts by bluefear
Old 12-10-2021, 08:02 AM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
10,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
hello sir, how do you like the CORE?

When you hold it and program it, does it feel like you are holding a high quality radio?
I'd marry it if it were legal in FL
Old 12-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by vlysakowski
United States, OH, Ada
Joined May 2010
2,806 Posts
I love my CORE radio! Out of all the radios that I've had throughout the years, this one feels the best in my hands. I'm excited to see PowerBox coming out with a new radio here! Richard at PowerBox has great support for all products.
vlysakowski is offline Find More Posts by vlysakowski
Last edited by vlysakowski; 12-10-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,005 Posts
Quote:
I'd marry it if it were legal in FL

LOL!!

just about anything else is legal, so why not????
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 12-12-2021, 01:21 PM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
10,422 Posts
LOL

Ok seriously, and this is in regards to the CORE, since there's no Atom over here to look at or play with yet.

The display, I prefer it on the top and its visible and usable even in the sun.

The feel is excellent, you feel like you're holding something substantial not plastic. In fairness some have called it a little heavy, I like that feeling and part of that is the dual batteries. I can charge, go to an event like Nall for a week and not worry about charging

The alcantara has a nice grip feel to it, they can be removed and cleaned if needed but don't get grimy and I fly a LOT, more than most other folks in the hobby, we have wifi at the field and i can work out there so its not unusal for me to be out 2 or 3 week days plus a weekend day.

The machined and hall effect gimbals are precise and have a high end feel.

The programming is pure gold. Functions and flight modes are easy to learn and the more you learn the more you see you can do. Just a quick example, how many have tried to do a delta wing setup? You get the elevators right and the ailerons are backwards, you fix that and the gyro is going the wrong way. Functions are individually setup and adjusted. Set the elevator function up using servo 1 and 2, set the directions, rates etc then move to aileron, you assign the same servos but set the direction and rates separately, everything goes the right direction.

Full proportional channels that run at the same speed from 1 through 26 (in the case of the core), no losing resolution after channel 12, no x-plus or mulitplexing channels or only usling the high channels for lights or toggle functions. Everything is assignable, proportional, and full speed and resolution from top to bottom.

Wifi updates to the transmitter, when I update the transmitter the firmware for the receivers is available on the transmitter to push out to the receivers, no digging receivers out of a fuselage to update them, its done through the interface on the transmitter.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by vlysakowski
United States, OH, Ada
Joined May 2010
2,806 Posts
Quote:
LOL

Ok seriously, and this is in regards to the CORE, since there's no Atom over here to look at or play with yet.

The display, I prefer it on the top and its visible and usable even in the sun.

The feel is excellent, you feel like you're holding something substantial not plastic. In fairness some have called it a little heavy, I like that feeling and part of that is the dual batteries. I can charge, go to an event like Nall for a week and not worry about charging

The alcantara has a nice grip feel to it, they can be removed and cleaned if needed but don't get grimy and I fly a LOT, more than most other folks in the hobby, we have wifi at the field and i can work out there so its not unusal for me to be out 2 or 3 week days plus a weekend day.

The machined and hall effect gimbals are precise and have a high end feel.

The programming is pure gold. Functions and flight modes are easy to learn and the more you learn the more you see you can do. Just a quick example, how many have tried to do a delta wing setup? You get the elevators right and the ailerons are backwards, you fix that and the gyro is going the wrong way. Functions are individually setup and adjusted. Set the elevator function up using servo 1 and 2, set the directions, rates etc then move to aileron, you assign the same servos but set the direction and rates separately, everything goes the right direction.

Full proportional channels that run at the same speed from 1 through 26 (in the case of the core), no losing resolution after channel 12, no x-plus or mulitplexing channels or only usling the high channels for lights or toggle functions. Everything is assignable, proportional, and full speed and resolution from top to bottom.

Wifi updates to the transmitter, when I update the transmitter the firmware for the receivers is available on the transmitter to push out to the receivers, no digging receivers out of a fuselage to update them, its done through the interface on the transmitter.
+1. This transmitter is simply amazing. I also like the Wi-Fi feature and the ability to update your radio without connecting it to your PC. You also have the ability the update the receivers via the transmitter! Each and every update the Richard puts out amazes me with the improvements that PowerBox makes to this radio. An example from the recent update would be that now you can adjust your Sub-Trim and End-Points by increments of 0.1% for fine tuning. Simply Awesome!
vlysakowski is offline Find More Posts by vlysakowski
Last edited by vlysakowski; 12-12-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:25 PM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
10,422 Posts
Yea, that last updated addressed an issue i was having setting up flybarless in helis with the Demon Axon, the sub trim steps were just a bit too course. Of course, I figured a way around it because the radio is so flexible but this is more straight forward.

BTW, without any helicopter programming I've setup both FBL and CCPM helis with it, the CCPM was simply using functions to get the what is really just a pre-programmed mix to get the swash to do what I needed to do. Interestingly, with other high end radios I've worked with, when you setup a CCPM head and stir the cyclic quickly you can often see the swash move up and down a bit in collective, it rarely affects flight but it's there, when i finished making a program for a CCPM trex, you could move the stick as fast as you wanted and it never moved a mm in collective, zero interaction. That's how fast this radio is processing the inputs.

Quick Reply