logo
Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,906 Posts
Noob Build: Dalton Extra 300

Well, I've purchased and received a Dalton Aviation Extra 300 (non-MEL) kit. I'm going to do a build thread to make sure I do things right and to get tips and pointers from other builders. I've read a lot of the BBW threads and I've also watched what Rob Joyner (Sukhoi26) has done. I also spent a lot of time talking with Van Kratzenstein about building methods when I lived in Colorado and I've talked with Dean N. (fixed wing) about methods as well. I'm going to to pull together what I feel are the best methods for doing this build (granted what others use are great ideas as well). I plan to get the ball rolling in a few weeks since it's planting time at work and we're pretty busy. I'd like to have the airframe framed up in a year so this is going to be a long build thread, but I will not rush things.

As of right now, my planned equipment will be:

Engine: DA 150/170
Exhaust: MTW RE3 tuned pipes
Servos: Hitec or Futaba
Receiver: JR 1221
Power Distribution: Smart Fly
Batteries: Fromeco 2400 maH Iron Corps X 2 for RX and a 1200 or 2400 maH for Ignition

I plan on doing 2 servos in a push-pull arrangement in the tail, a single elevator servo per half, and either 2 or 3 aileron servos (haven't decided fully yet). My only real modification is to honeycomb the foam cores and reinforce them with carbon tow. This airplane is going to be set up for IMAC and 3D flying with a target weight of 37-38 lbs.
ben_beyer is online now Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by KnowCrashes
Sponsor of My Sons
Sea Level in the SunShine!
Joined Aug 2008
1,280 Posts
Re: Noob Build: Dalton Extra 300

Looks like you have a JR radio system by the listing of your receiver choice.

Curious as to why you would consider using Hitec, let alone Futaba servos.
KnowCrashes is offline Find More Posts by KnowCrashes
Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,906 Posts

I've used Hitec servos in the past and still have them in some of my airplanes. The 7950TH and 7955 are great servos from what I hear. I have some Futaba 9156's in my EF Extra 300 and so far they're very smooth and great too, but we'll see how they hold up. For the most part, the JR servos don't hold up well. I'd like to try the 8711's, but I'm afraid of having to send them in every 50 flights or so to have new gears but in them. JR 8611's are completely out of the question.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Have fun with the build! I just got mine back from my painter. Its on to final assembly and hopefully airborne in a couple weeks for me!
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26
Building as fast as I can
palm harbor florida
Joined Jan 2006
2,017 Posts

It's great to see you start on this plane Ben. Let me know if you need anything or any suggestions. I agree with you on the servo selection. I have a pilot that has two planes, one with all JR servos and one with 9156's. He has always been a JR guy but I got these futaba servos for him and he has nothing but great things to say about them. Have fun with the build. Rob
sukhoi26 is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26
Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,906 Posts

Thanks Rob, I'm hoping to get started gluing the motor box tonight and snap some pics. Kind of limited on time right now because I got a take home midterm to work on and I have to spend time with the girlfriend lol. I'm going to try to do a little bit every night, but it might be a week or two before I head over to Home Depot to get a sheet of MDF and some other stuff. I need to check to see how true my channel aluminum is since I moved from the last time I used it. I'm going to build a simple top that will go on top of my current workbench (which is strong but has a bow in the top) just big enough to build a Extra 300 MEL (in case I get one in the future). It'll only be about 24" wide at the widest point and I'm going to use my aeroperfect meter to make sure there's no twist in it.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
palm harbor florida
Joined Jan 2006
2,017 Posts

If you need help with what types of glue and what not I can put a list together for you. Also if you can't find any Elmer's polyurethane glue, I have 12 bottles here, I can sell you one if needed. Rob
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,906 Posts

I picked up a bottle of the Titebond III and Elmers poly glue is available locally. The only thing that's not available is titebond white glue. I'll just use Elmers for joining the sheeting and then use the Titebond III for gluing on the leading and trailing edges.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
palm harbor florida
Joined Jan 2006
2,017 Posts

I've been having a problem finding the titebond white also, but the Elmer's white works just as well. Rob
Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,906 Posts

I officially started on my Dalton Extra 300 tonight. I just glued a few parts to the right side of the motorbox. I just dabbed a little of the Titebond onto the tabs and where the part would join another part. I need to get some clamps from Harbor Freight before I move any further. I got started tonight and then realized I didn't have any clamps...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,198 Posts

enjoy the build ben... you'll absolutely love this airplane! it'll go together easy and fly even easier! take your time and be proud of your work!!!! it's GREAT to see more people building!
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Old 04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,906 Posts

Thanks smokin, there's nothing like having an airplane you built yourself. I'm flying an ARF right now (not that that's a bad thing) but in the end I'd rather have something I built myself. I enjoy building as long as I'm not under any pressure to get it done so this is going to fit well. I might not get anymore done because of Easter, but it'll still be here when I get back so no worries.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by jongurley
Vess Propellers!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,474 Posts

I would run the hitecs ben if you have them, i have been running hitec 5955's and the 7955's for several years in my 40% extra imac plane and my 35% 3d yak, all my JR buddies talk crap about them, but I have never had a minutes trouble with them adn the titanium gear trains are bulletproof,, I don't won't to be pulling the servos out every 3-4 months for gear slop,,
jongurley is offline Find More Posts by jongurley
Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,198 Posts

i couldn't agree more! the 5955's that i have had for years and the 7955's that i flew last year are all still like new and not even a trace of gear issues. they may not have quite as much torque as the 8711, but they'll do the trick and you can use them maintenence free for a LONG time!
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,906 Posts

Here's a quick update of the work I got done right before I left for Easter. I got a the other side of the motor box glued on. I had some clamps to help hold everything together plus squares to make sure it was built right, but I took them off for the pic.

Quick Reply