logo
This thread is privately moderated by Al Lewis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by Toothata540
Huckin', Learnin', & Burnin'
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Dec 2013
612 Posts
I had Dubro Tygon lose the inner layer after two years. It collapsed and plugged the fuel inlet. So now I go through my planes every two years, and if I have to pull my engine in between, the line gets replaced. I started buying the blue line a year ago from taildragger and it is still plyable.
Toothata540 is offline Find More Posts by Toothata540
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,721 Posts
That clear blue stuff is available through outfits that deal with snowmobiles and jet skis, maybe motorcycles as well. It's used as a primer line. Though it does stay flexible for a while, it eventually will get hard as a rock. You have to slice it with a #11 or risk damaging the fitting when removing it. But you're looking at 5+ years. I use it outside the tank.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by norwood
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Sep 2017
5 Posts
Thank for the info ,going to try drilling the back plate have the problem with air flow on my stick
norwood is offline Find More Posts by norwood
Old 01-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by 2wingnut
Joined Oct 2018
25 Posts
1st Time gas user

This is a great thread lots of great info. I'm a first time gas user and I'm looking for pearls of wisdom. I'm putting a DLE 61 on a GP 1/3 Pitts I've had stashed away for a few years. The firewall has been updated with thicker wood where the engine mounts, triangle stock on the box both front and back. With this being my first gasser what advise can you give on mounting the engine?

Thanks
Rick
2wingnut is offline Find More Posts by 2wingnut
Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,979 Posts
Your plane should have center lines on the firewall.Measure your center to center on the engine mounting holes. Divide that by two and that is the center between the holes.Match that center to the center of firewall marks.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 01-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by 2wingnut
Joined Oct 2018
25 Posts
Thank you that is something I didn't know.

Rick
2wingnut is offline Find More Posts by 2wingnut
Old 01-20-2019, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by lastuaja
Finland
Joined Jan 2006
9 Posts
Valach 60cc 4-stroke engine has tubing that goes from crankcase to carburetor pump. What is purpose of this?
lastuaja is offline Find More Posts by lastuaja
Old 01-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,721 Posts
Engine manf's have 2 options for getting a pulse signal to the pump diaphragm. One is nice and simple like the one you are talking about. The other routes the signal internally, from the crankcase to the pump diaphragm.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 01-21-2019, 01:02 AM
Find More Posts by rsnow
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined May 2015
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
As long as the fuel line continues to seal to the fittings, it should be ok for use. Just not very convenient to use that way and you donít know when a failure might occur. If it was my airplane and I valued it, I think I would consider replacing all the lines with Viton.

+1
For the minimal cost of Viton on your fuel lines you could rest easy for years.....this stuff is bullet proof with gasoline.
rsnow is offline Find More Posts by rsnow
Old 02-12-2019, 06:10 AM
Find More Posts by Phil liebo
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Apr 2018
91 Posts
No metal push rods real?

I have a metal push rod on throttle and choke. Is this something I need to switch out to plastic? I assumed the possible interference would be for older fm style radios. Does it affect the 2.4 ghz as well?
Phil liebo is offline Find More Posts by Phil liebo
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnow View Post
+1
For the minimal cost of Viton on your fuel lines you could rest easy for years.....this stuff is bullet proof with gasoline.
+1
100% Viton on both my new EF Extra and the new filler can.
https://www.mcmaster.com/5119k41
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Joined Dec 2013
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil liebo View Post
I have a metal push rod on throttle and choke. Is this something I need to switch out to plastic? I assumed the possible interference would be for older fm style radios. Does it affect the 2.4 ghz as well?
I donít think itís as big of an issue anymore with 2.4. All of my gassers have a metal pushrod with 2-56 ball link ends. Never had a problem with this equipment. You do want to be sure the ignition module is as far away from your Rx as you can (I.E. the engine box assuming your Rx is under the canopy). I think Iíve seen a minimum recommended distance of 12Ē from some engine mfgís.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2013
612 Posts
+1 on the Viton. Internals on the tanks get refit with the “V”.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by Phil liebo
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Apr 2018
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothata540 View Post
I donít think itís as big of an issue anymore with 2.4. All of my gassers have a metal pushrod with 2-56 ball link ends. Never had a problem with this equipment. You do want to be sure the ignition module is as far away from your Rx as you can (I.E. the engine box assuming your Rx is under the canopy). I think Iíve seen a minimum recommended distance of 12Ē from some engine mfgís.
Thanks. I kinda figured that. Otherwise you could scrape two pieces of metal together near the Rx and see a problem. And the tail wheel has a rod that slides back and forth in a metal ring and that would be problematic as well. I did have a signal glitch at the field last week though and was wondering if that could have caused it.
Phil liebo is offline Find More Posts by Phil liebo
Old 02-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,155 Posts
2.4 radios don't glitch. They either work or they don't work at all. Just the nature of the beast. They can go into failsafe if that is setup.

I use metal pushrods all the time in various locations on various models but I always use plastic ball links on the ends. The one most important thing you need to be aware of in a gasser is to have the spark plug cap firmly seated and secure on the plug. If loose, you will have a problem. Other than that, most 2.4 equipment tolerates being mounted most anywhere in the airframe though as much spacing as possible between the ignition and receiver is always a good idea.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply