Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by Red Comet
Jeff W
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts
What Engine is This?

Hi-
I'm a newbie here, and to gas engines in general. Got hooked after watching the latest IMAC contest here in Albuquerque. My dad built this 1/3 Lanier Laser and I'm working on getting it ready to fly - but I have no idea what engine it has! It has 2 rings and what looks to be a magneto. (I'm really green) Any ideas? Thanks for any help!
Red Comet is offline Find More Posts by Red Comet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by rcign
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts
Re: What Engine is This?

Very old very good 4.2 Sachs chainsaw conversion..Will outlast any plane you put it on..22-10 or 12 props work well...Also 24-8 and 10...
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Jeff W
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts

Thank you very much! I was at a loss in matching it to pictures on the net. Not sure how old it is, but maybe from the late '80's. Since it's a single (higher vibration) and likely heavy (lead is mounted in the tail) I'm likely going to take it off in favor of something along the lines of a BME 100.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by JPal101
United States, NY, Richmond County
Joined Nov 2006
544 Posts

If the plane flew with it in the past, why not just try it as it is. It might be fun and you dont have to do all the extra work not to mention the expense.
JPal101 is offline Find More Posts by JPal101
Old 07-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,904 Posts

It also might be a Yeager Sachs 3.7..... I've got one like this. The telltale difference would be the the carb for the 4.2 has a really big hole down it's gullett and the 3.7 is about a half inch in diameter. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures. The 4.2 liked the 24-10 Zinger props and the 3.7 liked the 22-10 Zinger props. Of course, that was then and there are lot better prop selections now than there were way back in the early 80's. They both had the Bosch ignition built inside under the flywheel. No fuss, no muss..... They were the Cadillac saw conversions of their day!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by rcign
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

Look on the base of the cylinder..49ZN is a 4.2, 47ZN is a 3.7
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Jeff W
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPal101 View Post
If the plane flew with it in the past, why not just try it as it is. It might be fun and you dont have to do all the extra work not to mention the expense.
You make a good point, but in fact it hasn't been flown and engine hasn't been run. Built from the Lanier 96" kit, it's only a few ounces shy of 25lbs, which to me seems a bit heavy. Engine weighs 6 lbs and there's lead mounted to tailwheel bracket so I'm thinking it could be lighter and I like the thought of lower vibration coming from a twin. Might also help the plane last longer if I can keep from crash'n it??
Last edited by Red Comet; 07-11-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Jeff W
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango View Post
It also might be a Yeager Sachs 3.7..... I've got one like this. The telltale difference would be the the carb for the 4.2 has a really big hole down it's gullett and the 3.7 is about a half inch in diameter. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures. The 4.2 liked the 24-10 Zinger props and the 3.7 liked the 22-10 Zinger props. Of course, that was then and there are lot better prop selections now than there were way back in the early 80's. They both had the Bosch ignition built inside under the flywheel. No fuss, no muss..... They were the Cadillac saw conversions of their day!
WT
Thanks Wango- this one is about 7/8"dia at the choke and necks down to about 5/8" dia below the choke. And sure 'nuff- it had a Zinger 22-10 mounted. Does this look like your 3.7 throat? What's a "Yeager" Sachs?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Jeff W
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcign View Post
Look on the base of the cylinder..49ZN is a 4.2, 47ZN is a 3.7
Thank you! Man the second digit is so hard to read on this one, but I'd bet it's a 7 before I'd say it's a 9. Wow- if in fact it's a 3.7, at 6lbs, what kind of plane is best suited for? Maybe the short nose of a WW1 bipe?

Quick Reply