Old 05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts
Discussion
Carden 124" Extra 300 Special

Many of you know that I love to build. Over the last couple years I’ve completed many of the Carden 126” Extras and most recently one of the new 124” Pro Extras for someone else. The 124” Pro has quite a few different features and aspects to it that made an impression on me to the point that I decided I wanted to build one for myself. However, I really wanted to modify it into a single seat configuration. After many back and forth discussions with Dennis of how I might kit bash his existing 124” Pro into an Extra 260, etc. he remembered that there was a full scale Extra 300 that was modified into a single seater.

The full scale single seat Extra 300 has markings on it that show “Extra Special” & “Extra 300R” (see picture). In short, it had the look that I was after. Dennis ran some calculations and determined that with some modifications to the hatch and canopy bubble of the 124” Pro that an Extra 300 Special could be done and still be compliant with former TOC dimension guidelines. As a result, this build version will be of the Extra 300 Special.

PICTURES OF THE COMPLETED SINGLE SEAT VERSION ARE SHOWN BELOW

The build for this plane and others like it are discussed throughout this thread.
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Last edited by Fixed Wing; 05-30-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Updating with Pictures of the Completed Model
Old 05-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts
There are a couple things I’d like to mention about this thread and about the build itself. First, I really don’t intend this to be a build thread explaining how to do things. Instead, progress pictures will be posted periodically with various comments along the way. For people interested in the how’s of construction there is an excellent build thread about the Carden 126” Extra 300 that Will Berninger (Windecker) started on one of his builds. This thread is located at https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37629. It is a very detailed and informative build thread with lots of useful construction tips & tricks.

Second, most Carden builds to this point have been according to kit instructions. A lot of thought and testing has gone into the Carden design and when built according to instructions will yield a very strong long lasting air frame. Having said that I’ve had several construction ideas I’ve been wanting to experiment with. Since this plane will be for me I decided to go for it. Certain items might appear nonconventional but it’s what I want to do and you just never know until you try. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with constructing a Carden according to kit plans. This is being emphasized because if something turns out not good regarding this build it won’t be because of the Carden design.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by mobilemenice80
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
pinckney, MI
Joined Jul 2009
1,098 Posts
mobilemenice80 is offline Find More Posts by mobilemenice80
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by The_Wreck
Mableton, GA
Joined May 2006
1,772 Posts
Can't wait to see it.

Going with a DA200?

I love my 124, I am very interested to see what you change.
The_Wreck is offline Find More Posts by The_Wreck
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by mike chandley
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,001 Posts
I will follow this thread also. The one thing I do not like about my 50% project is the weight of the canopy (even though it is not done yet) It is 36" long and will be heavy no matter what.
This could be a way for me to shed some weight.
Thanks for the thread!
mike chandley is offline Find More Posts by mike chandley
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed Wing View Post
Many of you know that I love to build. Over the last couple years I’ve completed 6 of the Carden 126” Extras and most recently one of the new 124” Pro Extras for someone else. The 124” Pro has quite a few different features and aspects to it that made an impression on me to the point that I decided I wanted to build one for myself. However, I really wanted to modify it into a single seat configuration. After many back and forth discussions with Dennis of how I might kit bash his existing 124” Pro into an Extra 260, etc. he remembered that there was a full scale Extra 300 that was modified into a single seater.

The full scale single seat Extra 300 has markings on it that show “Extra Special” & “Extra 300R” (see picture). In short, it had the look that I was after. Dennis ran some calculations and determined that with some modifications to the hatch and canopy bubble of the 124” Pro that an Extra 300 Special could be done and still be compliant with former TOC dimension guidelines. As a result, this build version will be of the Extra 300 Special.
How much will it cost? How fast is it??? How far can you fly it??? How much pay load will it hold???

I am sure it will turn out fantastic buddy.

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wreck View Post
Can't wait to see it.

Going with a DA200?

I love my 124, I am very interested to see what you change.
Well, here’s a question where the answer will go against the current trend. I plan to use a DA150 with standard mufflers. OK, now that that’s out I almost feel like I have to defend this decision so let me explain why.

I currently have 2 Carden 126” Extra 300’s. One has a DA200 on it (RTF weight of 42.0 pounds) and the other has a DA170 with RE3 pipes (RTF weight of 39.1 pounds). They both fly really well with plenty of power and there is nothing wrong with the way they fly. As far as the DA200 goes its nothing short of awesome – tons of torque, great throttle transition, and a bit of a cool factor. But is it really needed? Probably not. The piped DA170 has lots of top end power but not as much torque and grunt in the mid range as the DA200. Both of these motors are on the 126” Carden with a large volume fuse, thick wings, and a good amount of drag. So the power of the 200 & 170 becomes beneficial for cleanly holding your heading in an up-line maneuver without the need to “chase the plane.”

Now comes along the Carden 124” Pro air frame that has a smaller volume but stretched fuse and thinner wings. This translates to over all less weight and less drag but is still a BIG plane. The first Carden 124” Pro I built weighs 37.2 pounds using a DA170 and cans. This was pretty much a stock build while being weight conscious. Given some of the things I’m going to try on this new build I should be able to shave off more weight getting to a sub 35 pound target. Losing extra weight is absolutely not required for the Carden 124" to fly excellent. It’s just something I want to do beyond the kit design. Bottom line is that I believe a DA150 will fly this plane in a very competitive fashion.

One final comment which is more philosophical and that I might get flamed for. Over the last several years there’s been a trend of “ramping up” related to equipment and costs for IMAC class planes. I’ve personally followed this trend as can be seen by what I’m flying. IMO it’s gone over board so aside from the build itself I will use an $800 valued used DA150 I already have and save 2 to 4 thousand dollars over a new piped 170 or lightened 200. Regarding using stock mufflers vs. pipes or cans, I hope to prove that a properly propped and set up 40% class plane just doesn’t need them to be competitive. This plane should respond well to good throttle management and still be able to score IMAC 10’s on sound. If not, then I guess I’ll have to pay-to-play.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike chandley View Post
I will follow this thread also. The one thing I do not like about my 50% project is the weight of the canopy (even though it is not done yet) It is 36" long and will be heavy no matter what.
This could be a way for me to shed some weight.
Thanks for the thread!
You are right. Aside from the fact that I like the looks of a single seater, saving weight from the heavy plastic bubble was a consideration for going this route. You can certainly build more hatch area lighter than having extra plastic.

BTW, I've been following your project also with great interest.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
How much will it cost? How fast is it??? How far can you fly it??? How much pay load will it hold???

I am sure it will turn out fantastic buddy.

Bob
Too much.
Really fast.
Way far.
A $h*t load!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Old School Hucker
Joined Jan 2006
2,082 Posts
If you REALLY want to save weight.. use the canopy supplied as a plug to make a fiberglass canopy. Once you lay it up, spray several coats of Testors 'Clear Smoke' paint on it. Eventually, the glass weave will fade away and you'll be left with a clear, but VERY tinted canopy.

Pete Goldsmith did this on his HUGE Cap 232s for the TOC.
Shaker is online now Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by Professor
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Nov 2006
460 Posts
Dean,
Looking forward to following your thread. I am sure the DA150 will pull the 124 Pro around with ease. Glad you are going to prove it!
Kurt
Professor is offline Find More Posts by Professor
Old 05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,208 Posts
Good idea and way to go Dean!! Yeah, my DA 150 is one strong stump puller and your's should be too! About the only thing that you may "need" to use in a set of cans to really keep the plane quiet!

Bobby aka TDD
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Last edited by The Dirt Doctor; 05-04-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by mike chandley
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
If you REALLY want to save weight.. use the canopy supplied as a plug to make a fiberglass canopy. Once you lay it up, spray several coats of Testors 'Clear Smoke' paint on it. Eventually, the glass weave will fade away and you'll be left with a clear, but VERY tinted canopy.

Pete Goldsmith did this on his HUGE Cap 232s for the TOC.
I will require a little more explanation for my pea brain?
mike chandley is offline Find More Posts by mike chandley
Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Dean,
Looking forward to following your thread. I am sure the DA150 will pull the 124 Pro around with ease. Glad you are going to prove it!
Kurt
+1.
STLAV8R is online now Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by poprlite
which rudder?
United States, GA, McDonough
Joined Nov 2008
417 Posts
I'm in! I am building a 118" and trying hard to resist the erge to put a 170 in it and use the 150 I already have. Not that it needs it, but to just say that I have one in there.

Really lookin foward to see this come together.
poprlite is offline Find More Posts by poprlite