logo
Old 11-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Discussion
How many REAL modellers do we have here?

To me a real modeller is someone that designs, creates, builds or all three and fly's in equal amounts, he doesn't single out one aspect of the hobby as the main part. He creates solutions to resolve a task that is not commercially available and at the same time develops an idea into a practical working reality making it his own, usually as a complete package and not just a single component from an already developed part.

Those that buy ARF's or only repair what was already developed by others and predominately fly would not fit my definition of a modeller as they have not created anything different than what was already there.

I'm curious as to where the hobby has gone in the last decade.
Has it changed as much as it appears due to the advent of ARF's or are their as many now as before?
Is it regional or global?
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Last edited by MODE 1; 11-15-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: reworded for more clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,613 Posts
Do I count?
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by wallygator
Bite Me!
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Dec 2007
1,154 Posts
I always considered myself a modeler starting with building plastic models as a child. I disagree when someone says you have to design to be a modeler. We are all copying someone elses work when we build a scale model, even if we do all the measurements from the Full Size plane. We are still relying on the work of the origional designer of the plane for the subject we want to model.
Pete like you I do what many would call design work but I rely on other designers 3-views for the basis of the plans and scale everything up or down from there. My opinion is if you build a plane from sticks and a plan you are a modeler. If you design from 3-views and draw your own plans you are a designer / builder / modeler. If you just assemble ARF's then I would say you're a pilot / assembly worker.....
wallygator is offline Find More Posts by wallygator
Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,470 Posts
I use to build kit planes back when ARFs were not available. As for today, I just don't have time to leave a kit on the table to build. If I had a big enough shop, I wouldn't mind building a kit and leaving it in the corner for me to work on every other week.

ARFs though have made us lazy these days...
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
mattoon illinois usa
Joined Jan 2007
1,280 Posts
Your not a REAL modeler until you have plenty of time, aquire land, plant various wood tree seeds and harvest. Same with electronics, engines, and assorted plastics. This all requires money so the real modeler is the wealthy guy that has everything done for him\her.
brycesteenburg is offline Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
I am not a real modeler.
I happily admit this.
Although I have built many kits in the past (Carden, Dalton, Lanier.....)
I now really enjoy opening a BNF box and flying in 30 min.

Now that being said, someday if a retirement is possible (Highly doubt it as I have watched my retirement IRA lose 30% of it's value in the past few years) I intend to return to modeling... but only time and finances will tell!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
Pete,I don't think that is fair.Not all of us have the time(I work hard all week for what I have)the talent(you would know this if you saw the dog house I tried to build from scratch) or the money for the tools to design,build,create and fly in equal time.When it comes to designing\scratch building it is a talent like any other.Not everyone can sing,or play an instrument,or act,or play sports,or weld,or anything else.I am sure there are things I can do much better than you and others,and there are plenty of things others can do that I can't.
I have built several kits and they came out great.I would hate to think about what something I designed would look like,
much less how it would fly.I know some guys who can't put an arf together correctly so I usually end up doing it for them,but they still love the hobby.I plan on scratch building an airplane,but it won't be from my own plans,so I guess I still won't be considered a modeler.I understand this is just your opinion,and I'm not lashing out at you,as we are all entitled to our opinion.That said,I am curious as to what you call those of us that fly predominantly arf's and\or kits.
Jeff Sikes
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
ive designed and built my own planes, ive built wooden kits, ive layed up custom laminates, and ive built ARF's. I dont feel the need to highlight the differences between us and single out any particular group as better or superior. no matter what you build or setup, every airplane presents challenges and problems that take forward thinking and ingenuity to overcome. We are all here because we love airplanes.........and isnt that enough?
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by citrus
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined May 2006
647 Posts
I don't design...I am not a modeler
citrus is offline Find More Posts by citrus
Old 11-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts
I have built many kits and scratch builds. I have even designed a few airplanes of my own back in the day. I honestly like building... i just hate finishing! These days, I just dont have the time. I still, build a little... usually Pylon airplanes... and I think of ways to change and make them better... even looking at molding parts and airframes with a new monster vaccuum bag system that a buddy of mine just built from the ground up... but we will see if I have the time to make the ideas in my head come to reality...
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by LawnJockey
cuttin the grass with balsa
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
1,393 Posts
I have designed and built my own boat hull. Ran a couple of them too. Does that count?

LJ
LawnJockey is offline Find More Posts by LawnJockey
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
When you put the "equally" bar up you dropped a lot of people out. Probably only a couple of hundred world wide, if that.

I have designed 3 planes lifetime. All were adequate flyers, not scale models, and not something worth copying by anyone else. At my club there are a couple of other guys who occasionally design their own planes, and occasionally build planes to others designs, but fly far more than they design or build. Easily 80% are ARF and fly guys, and a significant number of those can't deal with assembling an ARF, so have someone else do it for them.

For me, the most challenging part of the hobby, and the one I engage in most frequently, is doing the second assembly of a plane after a member of my family has re-kitted it (or maybe even I did the deed). The pieces never go together again as cleanly as they did the first time, and sometimes considerable ingenuity is required to achieve a flyable result.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
I am not a real modeler.
I happily admit this.
Although I have built many kits in the past (Carden, Dalton, Lanier.....)
I now really enjoy opening a BNF box and flying in 30 min.
I disagree. If you have the skills and have already done the above in the past then you are a modeller.
Present circumstances change everyone at times. The point in your post is you can and have done building when its suitable for you. My original post was to find out if the new generation in the hobby view any form of building as alien aside from unwrapping an ARF.
Wanted to see if this was a factor ......if it was the case on the shores of US, Europe or Australasia and maybe understand the reasons why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siko_Flyer View Post
Pete,I don't think that is fair.
Jeff its only an innocent question being asked. There is no judgement being made. You dont have to design , you can build from plans, any building or creativity fits my definition of modelling. You take a raw material and turn it into something then its modelling. Conversely patching up a broken ARF would be repairing thats the point I'm asking. I understand some have limited time, space etc. My point is if you could would you choose to do it to subsidize the hobby or would ARF's always be first choice so you can get out and fly? Flying being the main purpose of the hobby for you? Thats all I wanted to know.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Last edited by MODE 1; 11-15-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,577 Posts
I love to design and build. Feels good when it flys better then you expected. I might not be the best at it but is sure is satisfying. I need to do more of it.

P.S. Kills me when we see threads that say "BUILD THREAD" when it is an ARF. "ASSEMBLY THREAD" ---- It is an ASSEMBLY THREAD. Ok i feel better been dying to say that.

Signed FOG (at 46)
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by audi murf
Uber Contributor
Joined Apr 2011
813 Posts
damn, thanks for letting me know i am the mud on your shoe!

I dont build, just repair and fly. I am an assembler not a modeler. I am the test pilot, the family man, the working man, the friend, the mentor, the coach, the ggod guy, the bad guy, the badest mofo around town! My one and only flaw in life is that I am not a builder.

"Here lies Audi Murf, should have been a builder"!!!!

j/k. who has time to build these days. I enjoy flying these bad boys, whats wrong with that?
audi murf is offline Find More Posts by audi murf

Quick Reply