Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by lawnpro979
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Nov 2012
228 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum Or Futaba

Hey all:

I used to fly many years ago and got back into it about 2 yrs ago, I have purchased the hanger9 Sukhoi, the servos are already installed, high torque, and am not really that crazy about using a futaba servo reversel device for the elivator. I only have the futaba 6ex, so programing it to do this is kind of not there.

the plane instructions recomands using spektrum radio, reciver with the regulators, and such. I was wondering if a few of you know if this radio is capaable of programing the elevator sero to run oppsit ? they are seperate elevators.

or will I need something to do this with the spektrum radio ?

ALso what radio should I us e for this plane ?

thanks
lawnpro979 is offline Find More Posts by lawnpro979
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,358 Posts
Your 6 will do it.. Bern a few years since i had a 6 ex but anyway...You will need to use two mixes. First mix the elevator to available the aux channel you aren't using for ailerons. Get elevators both working, then mix the aux channel you used for the elevator half back to itself and set the mixes to-100. This will disable the aux functions switch or knob on the transmitter. You need to be using flaperons to setup your ailerons. This would be channels 1 and 6.(or just y them) So u will be using chanel 5 for your second elevator half. Good luck!
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Last edited by 2walla; 11-27-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,508 Posts
They only recommend using Spektrum gear because its a horizon/hanger 9 plane and of course Spektrum is Horizon's radio brand.

If I were you, I'd purchase the Futaba 8FG and use the 8 channel receiver that comes with that radio.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Find More Posts by lawnpro979
Doo It! Doo It!
Joined Nov 2012
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryhavoc38 View Post
They only recommend using Spektrum gear because its a horizon/hanger 9 plane and of course Spektrum is Horizon's radio brand.

If I were you, I'd purchase the Futaba 8FG and use the 8 channel receiver that comes with that radio.

Yea. this is what I am thinking too. it looks like the r6020sb reciver is what I want. I'm only assuming that these servos will work fine with this set up ???

ALso, I didn't realize this plane came with Digital servos and I connected an analog reciver to it and played around, I didn't damage them did I ?

thanks again EV1
lawnpro979 is offline Find More Posts by lawnpro979
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,358 Posts
Digital servos take the same analog receiver signal to drive them. They just have amplifiers that are higher frequency and supply a higher start current to the servos motor to make it develop higher torque sooner than a conventional servo. This also means if they are stalled they will pull more amps sooner and can self destruct a bit easier than a conventional servo.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by DadsToysBG
Bowling Green, Ky
Joined Mar 2006
728 Posts
This has nothing to do with the radio question, but make sure you use good batteries in the plane. I would use 2 A123 on the receiver and 1 on the engine. Dennis
DadsToysBG is offline Find More Posts by DadsToysBG
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by DESERTRIDER49
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2007
307 Posts
In regards to which transmitter I suggest, and I have both, Spektrum DX8 and the Futaba 8FG, I would go with the Futaba. On my Spektrum the throttle gimble does not have a "hard stop" at low throttle, and if I lay my thumb or finger on the stick the RPM changes on the engine, so my
Spektrum went back in the box. I suggest you get each transmitter in your hands and test that out.

Setting up one servo for each elevator half is a piece o cake.

Regards,
Randy

P.S. FOR SALE: Spektrum DX8, 3 flights like new, good for foamies and small electrics, will throw in recievers and flight log, $325 shipped.
DESERTRIDER49 is offline Find More Posts by DESERTRIDER49
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,061 Posts
+1 on the 8FG!
Right now is a good time to snag a good deal on a used one, what with the release of the 14SG resulting in an outbreak of "upgraddeitis"
Pete
Pilotpete is online now Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by fsone
Canada
Joined Jan 2010
304 Posts
I use Spektrum have for the last 4yrs got rid of my Futaba's never looked back.I fly all sizes of aircraft small electric right up to large scale.I started with DX7 has been an outstanding tx and will keep it as well.This past summer i purchased the DX8.It has been flawless like the DX7.I fly mostly giant aircraft for the last 2yrs.I am impressed with Spektrum the features this radio has out does anyone else in this class.That's why they sell more radios than the others.Why spend more money buying a Futaba when you can get the Spektrum DX8 and will satisfy most peoples needs.This radio will be the only one you will need for years to come.Spektrum go with the best and forget the rest!
fsone is offline Find More Posts by fsone
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsone View Post
I use Spektrum have for the last 4yrs got rid of my Futaba's never looked back.I fly all sizes of aircraft small electric right up to large scale.I started with DX7 has been an outstanding tx and will keep it as well.This past summer i purchased the DX8.It has been flawless like the DX7.I fly mostly giant aircraft for the last 2yrs.I am impressed with Spektrum the features this radio has out does anyone else in this class.That's why they sell more radios than the others.Why spend more money buying a Futaba when you can get the Spektrum DX8 and will satisfy most peoples needs.This radio will be the only one you will need for years to come.Spektrum go with the best and forget the rest!
Eh...wrong.
feature for feature, the 8fg Super is the radio that defines the mid level transmitter.

Heck, look at the displayed info on any spektrum/JR radio and it doesn't match up to what you get on the Futaba 8fg and better radio's.

BUT, congrats on your success with Spektrum gear. They do sell alot of radio's since most new flyers purchase their first kits at their local hobby store and as such, usually buy Spektrum gear.

We all should be comfortable with the gear we chose. I'm glad, after having two lockouts, that I switched to Futaba 4 years ago.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,506 Posts
Choose anything but Spektrum. It's more like wreckdum.
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old Grouch
USA, WA, Lynden
Joined Dec 2010
1,902 Posts
lots of great radios out there to choose from. research which one best fits your needs. THEN GO PHYSICALLY hold it to make sure it fits your hands and is comfortable to ya. The 8fg is a great radio i considered, but, I have big paws and it just did not fit, felt like i was gonna drop it. I ended up buyin a airtronics because of that.
When it comes right down to it futaba/jr/sprektrum/airtronics all make great radios, they all have their idiosyncrasies too, none of em are perfect. just pick the radio for your use and have fun.
JohnBer is offline Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Planeoho
Oquawka Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
354 Posts
Do yourself a favor, research the systems available and in your price range with the features you want. Then go to a club feild and see them yourself if you can. And then make your own decision based on YOUR research. Asking which radio system to buy here is like walking in to a Ford dealer and asking what Chevy is best for you.

Best of Luck!
Matt
Planeoho is offline Find More Posts by Planeoho
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,506 Posts
Specifically get educated about the different modulations each system uses. Meaning how the RX and TX talk to each other
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,939 Posts
choose the system with the fewest satellite Rx's

lol
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir