logo
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by Seminole
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Build Log
Redwing RC 50cc Sbach 342 build

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I start things off with a bang and do a build thread...set the bar high for future lurkers

The background: My son and I have been flying RC planes for about 3 years. We've only flown electrics to this point and they've ranged from Sig Rascal 72 to eFlite Ultimate 20-300, to EDF's. So not only is this our first gas plane, its also our first giant size. My good buddy Gutzy did the RedWing RC - 30cc MXS-R build here on FG and introduced me to Tim and Redwing RC. I've been a fan of the Sbach for sometime. I love the curves and how it floats. When looking at all the options, I did the research, and found Redwing really had the best product. Even before purchasing, Tim answered questions I had and made me confident in Redwing and their customer service.

My son and I are far from a professional builders so we'll be taking our time and taking lots of pics as we go. I will do my best to provide pics to enhance the online manual and build videos.

First comment - the build video on line must have been completed using a prototpe because the control horns and tail gear appear to be different now...better. Fuse also looks a big bigger. All good.

I did the RED Deal...couldn't beat it with the sale!
I went with the DLE 55(not RA)
XQ Power 4020 Servos
Badger Switch
Optikill (ordering shortly)
Aurora 9(ordering shortly)
3000mah LIFE
So on to the build.

The plane arrived from Redwing to Minnesota in 4 days. Only minor damage in transit.
Seminole is offline Find More Posts by Seminole
Last edited by Seminole; 03-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Unpacking the Sbach

The plane is packed very well and the quality of the covering is the best I have ever seen.
Being that I am getting older and I see yellow better, I decided to go with the Yellow, Black, and White Thunderbolt version.

There was some minimal damage to the upper lip of the engine box. The box was not damaged in that area so no doubt it came from the factory that way. No worries...its easily fixable and not structural in the least. I'll add a little ply in the area for extra insurance.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Landing Gear Install

Here are all the parts.

I'm following the online manual at this point. Its not clear that you have to cut a panel out to access the inside of the tail where you insert blind nuts. After a lot of research and talking to Guzty, I got it figured out.

One comment about the tail gear. The bolts that come with the carbon fiber tail gear are too short to go through the wood. Good thing, the wood holding the tail wheel is substantial....bad news...another trip to the hardware store.

You'll see the long bolts I got which fit just right.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Heres a few shots of the bolts for the main gear. Also got the hinges greased up with vasaline and got the rudder epoxied in place. Letting it rest for the night. I'll be building in the evening and weekends when its not flyable for end of the season snow flying.

Flying with skis on frozen lake is without a doubt the best place I have ever flown. Wide open spaces!
Last edited by Seminole; 03-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Tailspin Terror
Gettin' Lower!
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
Just finished up my Redwing 50cc Sbach yesterday. Bought it a few months ago and am pleased with the model. Had some minor damage ,which wasn't from shipping , although the box it was delivered in looked like they really tried to damage it. All that I have left to do is test run the engine again and make sure the needle settings are good. EME 60 going up front.
Tailspin Terror is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Terror
Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin Terror View Post
Just finished up my Redwing 50cc Sbach yesterday. Bought it a few months ago and am pleased with the model. Had some minor damage ,which wasn't from shipping , although the box it was delivered in looked like they really tried to damage it. All that I have left to do is test run the engine again and make sure the needle settings are good. EME 60 going up front.
Did you encounter any gotchas that I should be aware of? I've had a few missing hardware items. I'm missing two of the four bolts needed to hold the wings on and believe I'm missing the bolts that hold the canopy on but I'm not 100% sure they come with the kit.

Are you going to maiden soon?

EDIT - Helps if you know what you are looking for. I now realize there are only 2 wing bolts and the canopy screws are really small. I thought they would be much bigger.
Last edited by Seminole; 03-17-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
My wings are only held on by two wing bolts, one per wing. My wheel pants look like they won't take much abuse so I fiberglassed the inside of both. The wheel pants on my Reactor are about the same as these. They would crack if you looked at them too hard. I got a replacement set and fiberglassed them. I fly off a grass rough field . Two seasons flying them without a crack. I had one of the supplied ball links in the kit pull loose from a turnbuckle. Replaced that with a Dubro ball link. Checked all the other ball link connections with a good tug and them seem ok.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
Forgot to mention that my canopy screws were in a small package that also contained the cowl screws.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
United States, MN, St. Michael
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
Nice!!! Great to see you pulled the trigger! I have enjoyed my plane. I think you will be happy with yours.
Can't wait to see it fly!!!

Bbbrrrraaaaappppp!!!!
Gutzy is offline Find More Posts by Gutzy
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
Seminole, if you're using the online video to help you with your build, a few things have been changed on the Sbach since that video was made. For one, the tailwheel is attached with wood screws not blind nuts and bolts. Only one wing bolt per wing, fiberglass control horns and the cowl has been changed so that air scoop doesn't have to be removed to clear the engine.Only cut out needed now is for spark plug cap and exhaust on mine. The included dvd has up to date instructions.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailspin Terror View Post
Seminole, if you're using the online video to help you with your build, a few things have been changed on the Sbach since that video was made. For one, the tailwheel is attached with wood screws not blind nuts and bolts. Only one wing bolt per wing, fiberglass control horns and the cowl has been changed so that air scoop doesn't have to be removed to clear the engine.Only cut out needed now is for spark plug cap and exhaust on mine. The included dvd has up to date instructions.
You are correct. I figured it was based on the prototype and its better now. Can you send a few pix of your cowl cutouts? What motor did you go with?

Gluing hinges now. Will get some shots of the progress up shortly.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
Got the EME 60 powering my plane. Will try to get some pics
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Tail gear complete and hinges glued

We got the rudder and tail wheel assembly complete. No binding and free movement from side to side.
Then spent the rest of Friday night and some of Saturday getting all the hinge joints protected with Vaseline and glued in place. I didn't take many pic of that task as you've seen one, you've seen them all.

To limit damage from drips, I put a small amount of Vaseline around each hole. Cleans up way easier than tape. I use the tine of a plastic fork to put a small drop of glue into each hole, then butter one end of the hinge and insert in place. Repeat for each hole on the control surface. Then do the same to the other end of the hinge and bring the surfaces together.

Now that everything is dry, I can move on to servo and horn installation.

Any tips for getting the control rods equal?
Last edited by Seminole; 03-17-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
United States, MN, St. Michael
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
Measure from the center of each turn buckle eyelet. Should get them close.
Gutzy is offline Find More Posts by Gutzy
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
Been slow going...work and snow have had me busy but Ryan and I got caught up tonight. We got the elevator servos installed, push rods assembled and ready to attach, dowel and elevators test fit, rudder horns glued. I followed the suggestion on the video and reversed the pull wire and I'm glad we did. Those turn buckles are a beotch to get started on the bolts.

I've got a servo tester and everything centered but I need to hook the servos up to the reciever and center against the radio, make sure all connections are mechanically level, then fine tune with the sub trims. Up next is to install the stabs and rods, finish the pull pull connections, then move on to repairing my crunched motor mount lip.

Actually been a fairly easy build once getting past the putzy servo arm assembly. They are super cool though

Quick Reply