Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Discussion
DA-85 vs DLE-85 vs GP-88 vs GP-88EVO

OK, i am so sick and tired of ZDZ, i am finished with ZDZ. Getting parts sucks, 2 months
The ZDZ factory is so lazy, it takes them 2 weeks to respond to an email and another 1.5 months to ship, they simply stink (aka 3dhs). Bad horrible customer service, so i am moving on to another vendor (just like i did for airframe

ZDZ Mfg problems
-->> I have emailed the ZDZ factory for weeks, and after a week or two they replied and said they would help me get the parts and be right back to me, well 2 lousy weeks later and emails every two to 5 days and nothing, that factory is a ghost town or they need to hire people. The factory support is 1000% horrible and the dealers have the same trouble with the factory, no response or maybe in a few weeks a factory response, then wait another few weeks, terrible.
ZDZ support has exhausted me with them...

Now the dealers are great, but the factory is screwing the USA & Canada dealers.
(so no one gets offended, i will say it again, the Dealers in USA & Canada are excellent, factory is causing the poor parts service)

I have flown 2 different ZDZ80RVs on two different airframes for 4 years and love them, but i am so sick and tired of ZDZ suppliers in USA & Canada NOT being able to get parts, so screw it...
Even though both engines are flawless, no parts ruins the deal, never again...

So, i have an AeroWorks Extra 260 QB with a ZDZ80RV on it, but i now want to swap engines!!!
My current ZDZ80RV runs, but i want to refresh the top end, but can't.
I want a fresh powerhouse for 3D...

WHAT SAY You All ?
I understand from some that the GP engines are now built by the excellent Japanese companies, in the same building as Japanese dirt bike companies (Like Honda/Suzuki/Yamah/Kaw? is this true?? Same Quality?)

Some say the GP engines are a higher quality?
  • Supposedly not low compression so that they fly on low octane (they say crapy) fuel? GP is higher comp?
  • Supposedly Not De-Tuned so that it runs forever and thus sacrificing performance?
  • Supposedly Timing is Not backed off to make the engine last longer, but sacrifice performance
  • No Surging Issues...

So Far i am split between a DLE-85 or DA-85 due to parts available at a dime a dozen, but wasting a whole engine sucks, so i am thinking keep the wasted dollars down to a DLE-85 ???

Thanks in advance for the feedback

P.S. I almost forgot, i just moved from the stock pitts wrap around muffler on my ZDZ80RV to a LARGE Proflow canister, excellent tech support, top shelf right there, i love vendors who love helping us !!!!
http://www.planebenderproducts.com

Oh, almost forgot, on page 4 you will see how there is also a problem with obtaining a ZDZ HEADER, what a problem, and fiasco .... why is their such a problem with ZDZ parts and support (i guess the manufacturer )

(Almost forgot, [another RC Mfg problem scenario example. besides ZDZ, what is going on with RC Mfg'ers] i went to JoeNall this year and then went to the 3DHS tent and truck to buy parts for my son's Velox and get this, face to face, Noll told me off and refused to make amends and told me to go buy someone's planes and parts!!! (although i did nothing wrong anyway, just posted that i could NOT get ahold of anyone via email or phone for 6 months)
He refused to allow me to purchase parts for my 4 3DHS planes... I asked him if Ben the owner knew he was turning customers away, especially as a company representative, he didn't care...
He is an arrogant human and bottom of the barrel maget. I offered to him three times to be men and make amends and move forward, but the nasty guy refused, so i walked away, even though i felt like decking the weasel ). I said a customer is in front of you to buy parts and your refusing, and he proudly said yup, all because of the lack of support post i put up last fall asking what is going on with 3DHS support, so then Wade and Ben and Noll all attacked me , what sad people, so maybe someday they will go out of business... Karma , sorry Ben and Noll & Wade )
GizmoMadMax is offline Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
Last edited by GizmoMadMax; 08-27-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
was the 3w 85 not to your satisfaction?
i would say dle unproven not enough users with data about this engine and their specs make it look like the engine is weak when prop sizes are looked at.
da 85 hit and miss depends if you get a good one but why pay for a service in advance that you may not or should not ever need. also not really that powerful a brand compared to others and they are reported to shake.
gp engines still too young and relatively unknown except on here with unusual sales team choices scattered world wide in some of the most unusual places.
you need to ask people who have seen or handled these choices but not actually owned them for an opinion or you will get a vote even if its junk.
BRBR is offline Find More Posts by BRBR
Last edited by BRBR; 08-23-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by anders e
Joined Jan 2008
2,257 Posts
GP-88evo.................yes, i'm probably a fanboy, but its a reason for that
anders e is offline Find More Posts by anders e
Old 08-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBR View Post
was the 3w 85 not to your satisfaction?
i would say dle unproven not enough users with data about this engine and their specs make it look like the engine is weak when prop sizes are looked at.
da 85 hit and miss depends if you get a good one but why pay for a service in advance that you may not or should not ever need. also not really that powerful a brand compared to others and they are reported to shake.
gp engines still too young and relatively unknown except on here with unusual sales team choices scattered world wide in some of the most unusual places.
you need to ask people who have seen or handled these choices but not actually owned them for an opinion or you will get a vote even if its junk.
Hmmm 3W, never seen a 3W, but now that you mention it, how is a 3W for price and reliability and power for 3D?
Who is a good dealer for 3W ?

and yes, can i get 3W parts, piston, cyl ring gaskets, service if i need it like crank bearings replaced? I am a 40 year motorcrosser, so i rebuild anything rebuildable, so i need friggen parts and service :-)
GizmoMadMax is offline Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
3w is probably in the top price bracket, its german engineering, reliability and power are arguably the best out there as are mvvs or evolution engines. if your in the usa you already have an agent there that repairs them. most eu dealers sell parts. whatever choice you make try not to follow fanboys. it usually doesnt end with happiness so i've discovered. theres a guy on here called jedijody, quite well respected in the engine field, i would talk to him for a none biased appraisal about what choice to make for what you want it for. this way you get a fair return about what to choose. going with what is popular isnt always the best choice
Last edited by BRBR; 08-23-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Timber
United States, IL, Hoffman Estates
Joined Sep 2011
244 Posts
I've got a DLE85 on a 33% Hanger 9 330 extra, great running engine tons of power. Here's tread started on it few months ago https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ighlight=dle85
Timber is offline Find More Posts by Timber
Old 08-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by Cerus98
Uber Contributor
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Aug 2012
519 Posts
Gerhard of Aircraft International would be your US/Canada go to guy for sales, parts and service. 3Ws are known for their reliability and power and they last forever. DLEs are good engines as well - a copy of DAs which are also good but are copies of 3Ws. Might as well go right to the source if your going to pay the premium prices.

http://www.aircraftinternational.com/

If your engine is working I wouldn't go and blow money on a new one just to spite them though.
Cerus98 is offline Find More Posts by Cerus98
Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by mrbigg
Scratch Building ARF Assembler
Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
401 Posts
If its rings you need to freshen up the top end, frank bowman will make them.
mrbigg is offline Find More Posts by mrbigg
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM View Post
pfoil - Sleepyc
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while pfoil - Sleepyc edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders e View Post
GP-88evo.................yes, i'm probably a fanboy, but its a reason for that
from what i have read in the past from your previous posts you have had an affinity with da and ef products but now you have shifted sides to gp, pau and pf and do your utmost on many threads to advocate them when opportunity arises with hardly a peep about the former brands you were so supportive of. from this, i can see no reason of any worth to accept your favourable opinion about a current brand especially after elevating your status from hobbyist to sales rep of the for mentioned products. you are as likely to shift sides again once you have found something else that meets your present approval. this is precisely the warning i relayed to the op to be aware of. i believe readers should be aware of the facts to avoid being taken in by favouritism irrespective of final choice
Last edited by BRBR; 08-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by Cerus98
Uber Contributor
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Aug 2012
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoil View Post
Yeah clearly these two engine are copies of one another. IDIOT
I shouldn't even justify your blatant fanboyism and ignorance with a response but you do realize that DLEs don't look exactly like DAs but are still considered copies right? Do you also realize that someone can copy something and then over the years make changes?

Apparently not because you attempt to insult me by posting two pictures of one of many engines produced by both manufacturers. Buzz of little fanboy troll - you aren't worth my time.
Cerus98 is offline Find More Posts by Cerus98
Last edited by Cerus98; 08-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
Joined Jul 2011
1,599 Posts
They see you trolling. They be haten Your riding dirty
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
can we just keep the thread along the lines of what we know from first hand or observed from other posters that has been reported numerous times on here. after all it is he who wants to know more so he can make an eventual decision.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by Bikman
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
854 Posts
Cerus98 vs. pfoil vs. fanboys vs. reps.

Bikman is offline Find More Posts by Bikman
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by pfoil - Sleepyc
Troll Account
Armadillo, Texas
Joined Dec 2008
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerus98 View Post
I shouldn't even justify your blatant fanboyism and ignorance with a response but you do realize that DLEs don't look exactly like DAs but are still considered copies right? Do you also realize that someone can copy something and then over the years make changes?

Apparently not because you attempt to insult me by posting two pictures of one of many engines produced by both manufacturers. Buzz of little fanboy troll - you aren't worth my time.
No fanboy here. Just want you to support your claim with facts. Why cant you state any facts about what DA has copied? The 85 looks the same now as it did when it was released yet you say it is a copy of the 3w. What was copied. To me 3w and DA look like two totally different engines. What has DA copied from 3w?
pfoil - Sleepyc is offline Find More Posts by pfoil - Sleepyc

Quick Reply