logo
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by supercub1
Joined Aug 2013
475 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub DLE 35RA Engine Problem

Hello everyone,

I have a DLE 35RA on a 1/4 scale super cub. The engine runs great, about 5 gallons through it. Although today I did 2 aileron, rudder rolls and then a tight loop and the engine stalled. First time it has stalled in the air. Did it again and same results. I have had it stall idling in the past so I leaned the low end and that fixed that. I am about 1860 low, 7710 high with a 18x11 prop. I checked the clunk and it appears to be moving fine. Checked the fuel filter between the tank and engine, seems clean. Noticed some oil around the fins of the engine coming from the exhaust, however every bolt was tight along with the head, carb etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Adam
supercub1 is offline Find More Posts by supercub1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by flymedic
Huckin Fire Trucker
United States, AZ, Littlefield
Joined Jan 2008
1,447 Posts
I am building the Hangar 9 Super Cub now with the DLE 35RA, so I will be following along here.
how was it flying that combo?
flymedic is offline Find More Posts by flymedic
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Aug 2013
475 Posts
Cool. It fly's great other than the stalls mentioned above. I have floats on it right now which is lots of fun. This is the older versions hanger 9. I just received the new version which I will be putting lights on with the same engine. I was going to go 55 but the prop clearance wouldn't work on the water. Only thing is a couple neighbors on the lake don't like my plane noise which sucks.

Any ideas on my engine stalls?

I would like to get a 3D plane next. Looks like you have a couple. Any suggestions in the 30-40cc range?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Huckin Fire Trucker
Joined Jan 2008
1,447 Posts
Thats awesome. The new version is amazing how scale they was able to get it.
I wonder if something made its way to the carb. Take it apart if you haven't already & clean the screen. Maybe a new spark plug.
I am a pilot rc fan, but any of the 3dhs & extreme flight planes are sweet too. For 3D look at the edge 540. I love the way my sbach flies & is so floaty. But really any edge, extra, yak, sbach are a rip to fly .
OMP has some good offerings too I believe
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Aug 2013
475 Posts
Yeah! Never had a Cub before, didn't know how I would like it. Got it specifically for float flying and love it! The flaps are a bonus too. Great for taking off and landing. Haha, just put everything back together. Didn't take the carb apart, but did put a new plug in.

Yeah a friend suggested extreme flight. I have seen some pilot rc's fly (real nice as well). I like the Yak's a lot. Any difference in flying characteristic differences between the yak and extra?

Maybe some others will point out some other possibilities. I read somewhere a guy suggested a longer fuel line from the carb to tank? I also have a short vent line, don't know if that would affect anything?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Huckin Fire Trucker
Joined Jan 2008
1,447 Posts
My Yak flies great & does anything I ask it to do. The big round cowl slows it way down off throttle, so I have to keep more speed in it on landing. An Extra will cut through the air better, but either will be a blast in 3D. Pick what grabs your eye & fly it like you stole it.
As to your fuel lines, a longer pick up line will just take a little longer to get fuel to the carb. I like to loop my vent line to the back of the tank then forward and out. That helps from siphoning fuel on down lines & when you have the plane on its nose.
I really wonder if you won't find the screen dirty. Good luck & happy flying
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Joined Aug 2013
475 Posts
Thanks! I will keep those things in mind.

I may have to pull the carb apart as well.

Best of luck with your cub, let me know how you like it and how it runs!

Happy flying!!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by Whakdaddy
Flyin' Around
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
DLE 35RA

Hi All

I really need some help i have a DLE 35RA on an Edge 540 aeroworks i have made approximately 20 dead stick landings with this plane i have managed to evade major damage other than two props ..... here is what happens.... have engine tuned perfectly zero interaction from WOT to idle and vice versa take it up fly for a minute or two and the engine stalls dead stick it in ....yay no damage will start right away like nothing happened can taxi it around or fly again for a minute or two and it dead sticks again ...tune it and it will start and fly perfect ......couple minutes later land it dead stick again ... https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...milies/205.gif frustrated i have a field of canola around or flying field which has also saved my ass with this plane as well little wing rash here and there gives it character but i am ready to scream first crack at a gasser any advice would be great...thanks!!
Whakdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Whakdaddy
Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by FlierDan
Flyin' Around
Joined Sep 2013
1 Posts
This sounds like something that was driving me crazy. I suggest looking at two things.

1. Check that the clunk in the fuel tank is connected to the line and it isn't getting stuck on the side or back when you go inverted. This would make it stall. Once you get it on the ground it falls to the bottom of the tank again and starts right up.

2. Check the fuel line in the tank for a hole. I had this problem when the fuel dropped to about 3/4 of a tank and it would suck air when climbing (fuel went to rear of the tank exposing the hole). After landing and it was horizontal it would start right back up. Of course unknowingly I would re-fuel and it would hide the problem a few minutes again. I kept thinking it was overheating. Drove me crazy finding this cause. The pin hole was actually very hard to see visually.

Good Luck
FlierDan is offline Find More Posts by FlierDan
Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Aug 2013
475 Posts
Hey,

Did you fix your Edge Dle 35RA stall problem? I kept having the issue on my super cub when doing a loop. Found out my carb pressure in the cowl was changing messing with the fuel pump causing it to stall. Ran a brass tube in the metal plate hole (drilled a little bigger, sodered a brass tube on) extended to the fuse and it solved my problem.

Let me know if any of these tricks work? When does it stall? Are you doing anything in particular when it happens.

Best of luck,

Adam
Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by Whakdaddy
Flyin' Around
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys i pulled the gas tank and checked it all out in side ... clunk is fine and moves freely though the tank connections are good as well i replace the tubing from the tank to the engine with a smaller diameter noticed if i wiggled the tubing even with a tywrap on the connection a small amount of air bubbles would appear..... :'( that didn't help.... two more dead sticks a friend from the field suggested getting hi octane fuel mixing it perfectly 33:1 and throwing a little race fuel in will try that tomorrow
Whakdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Whakdaddy
Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
A good way to get help around here is for you guys to upload pics of the problematic setup. Show us whats up. Some times pictures are worth a thousand words.

Did you guys figure out whats going on? Dont lose a plane out of impatience. Find the problem.

I used to have a hard time understanding how very sensitive the adjustment screws are on the engines. That used to be my black cloud...
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whakdaddy View Post
a friend from the field suggested getting hi octane fuel mixing it perfectly 33:1 and throwing a little race fuel in will try that tomorrow
I say you need to be cautious here.

used the recommenden fuel and oil ratio. If it doesnt run on that, alcohol wont help you either. Fix the problem.

make sure you arent getting too hot! what do your plugs look like? Pics help with that one!
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by chosenone
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2014
19 Posts
I'm having stalling problems with mine as well, rebuilt carb and put bowman ring in didnt help... lost a slick RIP...
chosenone is online now Find More Posts by chosenone
Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
jdo
Find More Posts by jdo
jdo
Flyin' Around
United States, OH, Trenton
Joined Apr 2013
3 Posts
I really really really don't recommend race fuel, it will run hot and that's not good.
jdo is offline Find More Posts by jdo

Quick Reply