Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by AddictedToFlying
United States, PA, West Mifflin
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Discussion
New to Site with many questions.

Hello Everyone,
I am from West Mifflin,Pa. I have been flying for 3 months now and can't get enough of it. I got 6 planes so far. 3 are cheap deals from nitro planes (two su-26's and a Sbach 342) , A parkzone visionaire all foamy's and just picked up a 40size su-26 woody and a 72" Katana super power woody. i would like to get the katanna put together with a gas engine but i have no experience with these kind of planes. I have been told by the guys at the local field that a Dle motor is good and they told me to check out this website. I have not had to much time to look on here but i did a couple searches and not sure if anyone has built this model on here. I would like help on finding a good motor for it and also servos and everything else that a gas plane flier should know. Sorry if this is not the correct place for this or posting about something someone has allready done. if anyone has any ideas or could send me to the right link i would really appreciate it. Thanks so much. also im not sure how good this plane is for flying and i learned to fly with the visonaire which is really decent for flying 3d and i like the response and tricks i am able to do with it. So if this Katanna doesnt preform real well doing 3d i would like to cheaper put it together and get rid of it and upgrade to a better plane.

Heres a link to the plane i found it on nitroplanes:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmpka14072al.html

Here are two links for engines i was looking at :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Overbore.html

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXWA3&P=0
AddictedToFlying is offline Find More Posts by AddictedToFlying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Move the rudder what way ?????
United States, NJ, Egg Harbor City
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts
Well if you have 6 planes in three months, your not afraid to spend some money.

These are my suggestions on what you should do.

#1 : Go right into a 50cc or a 100cc airplene.
Bigger flys better and easier. ( you'll probably go bigger anyway )
some of the 30cc - 35cc airplanes are very squirrely.

#2 : Go with a reputable manufacture for an airplne. They are well designed, test proven and fly really good.
( I would stay away from Nitromodels and Hobbyking planes )

#3 : Don't go for a cheap engine. Get a proven one. ( DA, DLE, GP )

#4 : Dont skip on servos. The provide your power and feedback. You will wish you had better ones when you go into a bigger airframe.

A well designed, well equiped airplane will make you a better pilot and build confidence.
You won't beleive how hard it is to learn with a plane that is full of quirks and bad manners.

There are some real good deals going in the FlyingGiants classifieds.
2robinhood is offline Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Last edited by 2robinhood; 10-05-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,815 Posts
What he said ^^
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
i thank you very much for the reply. yea im not afraid to spend money but i just cant see spending $1000 on a plane right now. the nitroplanes were around $150 with shipping and the visonaire was around $300 . i picked up the other two su31 "40 size" for $80 along with the 72" . trust me i planned on going bigger like around 100 in . is that a 50cc or 100cc . because 50cc is the size of motor i was looking to put into the 72" katanna. Is that too big for that plane? also could someone please explain the % i keep seeing. i thinking it has to do with the size and not % of nitro or gas mix? How do you come up with that % if in fact it describes the size of plane? my plan was to outfit this katanna with a good motor and get it flying and then sell all my planes for a good giant scale plane. so i still could use some thoughts on what size motor to put in here and what size servos someone would recommend. thank you very much...
Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Joined Aug 2011
2,420 Posts
the % is how it scales to the real thing. This is my 30% Cap 232 that I am building meaning it is 30% the size of the full scale Cap. hope that clears things up for you.
BalsaDust is offline Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
the % is how it scales to the real thing. This is my 30% Cap 232 that I am building meaning it is 30% the size of the full scale Cap. hope that clears things up for you.
ok thought so just wanted to be sure thank you
Old 10-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToFlying View Post
i thank you very much for the reply. yea im not afraid to spend money but i just cant see spending $1000 on a plane right now. the nitroplanes were around $150 with shipping and the visonaire was around $300 . i picked up the other two su31 "40 size" for $80 along with the 72" . trust me i planned on going bigger like around 100 in . is that a 50cc or 100cc . because 50cc is the size of motor i was looking to put into the 72" katanna. Is that too big for that plane? also could someone please explain the % i keep seeing. i thinking it has to do with the size and not % of nitro or gas mix? How do you come up with that % if in fact it describes the size of plane? my plan was to outfit this katanna with a good motor and get it flying and then sell all my planes for a good giant scale plane. so i still could use some thoughts on what size motor to put in here and what size servos someone would recommend. thank you very much...
The 72" Katanna is more of a 30cc airplane.
A 55cc would make balancing very hard, would have very little ( if any ) prop clearance, and the heavy motor would make it have a very high wing loading.
Too much motor for a 72" plane.

When you see % , that is the percentage of the real airplane.
So a 50%er is half the size of the real airplane.
A 33%er is a third of the size of the real airplane.

A 30cc - 35cc size plane ( 26% ) will range from 70" - 78" wingspan. ( roughly 11 - 14 pounds )

A 50cc - 60cc size plane ( 30% ) will range from 85" to 91" wingspan. ( roughly 16-17 pounds )

A 80cc - 85cc size plane ( 33% ) will range from 93" to 103" wingspan. ( roughly 22 - 25 pounds )

A 100cc - 120cc size plane ( 35% ) will range from 104" to 110" wingspan. ( roughly 26 - 28 pounds )

A 150cc - 170cc size plane ( 40% ) will range from 118" to 126" wingspan. ( roughly 40 - 45 pounds )

You can put a 100cc engine in a 33% airplane without issues.

But since you already bought the Katanna, a DLE-30 / DLE-35 is what you want for it.

Now servos, go for something with 300+ inch ounces, metal gears and run them at 6 volts.
Super, super strong for a 30cc plane, but you can use the same servos all the way up to a 40%er.
( Hitec 7955, 7954, Futaba S9156 )

Need more, help just ask.
Last edited by 2robinhood; 10-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
ic awesome thank you very much . the box says 5000g-5200g (11.4lbs) so i guess thats dry weight without motor and servos ect
Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToFlying View Post
ic awesome thank you very much . the box says 5000g-5200g (11.4lbs) so i guess thats dry weight without motor and servos ect
Dry weight is ready to fly, just dry ( no fuel ).
90% of plane will come out slightly heavier then manufacturers weight, unless you take extra care watching weight.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
ok thanks again 2robinhood
Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by slamn sammy
Joined May 2014
7 Posts
71 in kantana

l have a Nitro Modles 71in Kantana that i have a DL50cc gas motor on with a Hobby King 21X14 prop on and it wheelys off the ground! With lass wight motor, I would have to add waight to it. It's a fon plane to fly, Also I have a 100cc Su26 from Nitro and it's a POS! LOL....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2robinhood View Post
The 72" Katanna is more of a 30cc airplane.
A 55cc would make balancing very hard, would have very little ( if any ) prop clearance, and the heavy motor would make it have a very high wing loading.
Too much motor for a 72" plane.

When you see % , that is the percentage of the real airplane.
So a 50%er is half the size of the real airplane.
A 33%er is a third of the size of the real airplane.

A 30cc - 35cc size plane ( 26% ) will range from 70" - 78" wingspan. ( roughly 11 - 14 pounds )

A 50cc - 60cc size plane ( 30% ) will range from 85" to 91" wingspan. ( roughly 16-17 pounds )

A 80cc - 85cc size plane ( 33% ) will range from 93" to 103" wingspan. ( roughly 22 - 25 pounds )

A 100cc - 120cc size plane ( 35% ) will range from 104" to 110" wingspan. ( roughly 26 - 28 pounds )

A 150cc - 170cc size plane ( 40% ) will range from 118" to 126" wingspan. ( roughly 40 - 45 pounds )

You can put a 100cc engine in a 33% airplane without issues.

But since you already bought the Katanna, a DLE-30 / DLE-35 is what you want for it.

Now servos, go for something with 300+ inch ounces, metal gears and run them at 6 volts.
Super, super strong for a 30cc plane, but you can use the same servos all the way up to a 40%er.
( Hitec 7955, 7954, Futaba S9156 )

Need more, help just ask.
slamn sammy is offline Find More Posts by slamn sammy
Old 07-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamn sammy View Post
l have a Nitro Modles 71in Kantana that i have a DL50cc gas motor on with a Hobby King 21X14 prop on and it wheelys off the ground! With lass wight motor, I would have to add waight to it. It's a fon plane to fly, Also I have a 100cc Su26 from Nitro and it's a POS! LOL....
I used to have a DL-50 and I don't think it could turn a 22 X 14 propeller.
I found a 22 x 8 to worked the best.

Last edited by 2robinhood; 07-01-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply