Shovelhead FLH is offline Find More Posts by Shovelhead FLH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by DanielIsbell
My wife thinks I'm at work!
United States, CO, Eaton
Joined Jan 2013
216 Posts
I read the article on the idea that the 777 might have "hid in the shadow" of another 777 to avoid radar detection within India, Afghanistan, etc. Sounds pretty far fetched. I'm a full scale pilot. Not an airline pilot. But never the less, I can fly. I have had plenty of experience in flying in formation. It is NOT EASY! Military pilots do it all the time...perfectly. But it is not like kicking back and setting the autopilot while you finish your coffee. Those pilots must have been glued to the tail of the lead aircraft, all the while NEVER making a mistake. Possible? Of course. Extremely difficult? Absolutely!

I want to find that damn plane!
DanielIsbell is offline Find More Posts by DanielIsbell
Old 03-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by Luke352
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilotacro View Post
in the realms of plausibility this one stands out like a sore thumb

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/po...ing-sia68-sq68

Yeah...and fairies are real.

If you want plausible this is about as plausible as all this guessing is likely to get. http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03...ectrical-fire/
Luke352 is offline Find More Posts by Luke352
Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
If a wing or stab rips off of a commercial jet on water impact, what are the chances that it would still be floating a week later? I guess if the fuel tanks maintained integrity, it's possible?
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
I would be buying the something happend catostrophic argument. The thing flew along on auto pilot with everyone on board dead or dying until it ran out of gas. That seems very reasonable as it has happened before.
The only thing that makes me go hmmmm, and I believe it is fact, but I am not sure what data they are using for the time line, is the fact that when the co-pilot signed off for the last time with " alright, goodnight", the plane was already turning off of the heading it was supposed to be flying. So if the time line is correct, and there was a problem so the pilots are turning to an emergency airport with a problem, then the co-pilot would not have calmly said "alright, goodnight" with that last transmission. Now if all of this is before it turns off heading, then the catostrophic argument still holds... he signs off, something happens, they turn to an emergency field, it crashes.. no more contact.
The timing of being handed off to the next ATC sector, while changing course, AND knowing with that last transmission it will be some amount of time before anyone would be expecting you to make contact with anyone.....is very curious to me, and opens it up to many other possiblilities.
Bill
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
When the pilot signs off of one control area, is he immediately supposed to sign into the next... or in remote areas, would they continue "uncontrolled" until they enter the next air space?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
I'm not sure anybody has the timeline straight. It seems to change daily. I think basically the Malaysian government has no hard timeline so they keep changing it as the guesses change.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
88 Posts
Some thoughts

First, I don't believe there was any accidental inflight incident. If there was, there would be a Mayday broadcast, transponder to 7700 and multiple other methods of communication. This was some nature of intentional act. I suspect by the pilot(s).

So, where is it now? At or below sea level. Parts, pieces and bodies will be washing up a distant points before long. Since it was dark, there is very little likelihood that it could successfully ditch without coming apart. If, and it's a big if, the plane managed some nature of a reasonably intact ditching it could have sunk. If this happened and it sunk mostly intact, it may likely never be found.
RV7guy is offline Find More Posts by RV7guy
Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545 View Post
When the pilot signs off of one control area, is he immediately supposed to sign into the next... or in remote areas, would they continue "uncontrolled" until they enter the next air space?
You call the next controller. On occasion you may be told .." If no contact try again in five minutes". The next sector knows your coming, especially crossing flight information region boundaries. Sometimes you swap from VHF to HF, and it takes a bit longer to establish communications.
Dan767 is online now Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Thanks.. I thought that would be the case.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by rcpilotacro
Fly Hard ! Fly Low ! Fly 3D
Joined Feb 2013
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielIsbell View Post
I have had plenty of experience in flying in formation. It is NOT EASY! Military pilots do it all the time...perfectly. But it is not like kicking back and setting the autopilot while you finish your coffee. Those pilots must have been glued to the tail of the lead aircraft, all the while NEVER making a mistake. Possible? Of course. Extremely difficult? Absolutely!

I want to find that damn plane!
So have I, including formation aerobatics ! the point sir is, most primary radars of civilian world has very large pulse & beam width, therefore their range & azimuth resolution is poor, keeping a loose tailchasing fighting formation i guess wouldn't be difficult. i dont see any other way where he could have gone off the grid and stayed off the grid, unless he shadowed somebody. OR gone off well south into the MMFO and crashed 2500 kms WSW of perth.

Slow decompression and ensuing Hypoxia ? did anyone talk about it ? i dunno, care educate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke352 View Post
Yeah...and fairies are real.
are they ?
rcpilotacro is offline Find More Posts by rcpilotacro
Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Fell bad for the families, but I think it was pilot suicide and wanted to go out in a mystery/big search/effort.

Once in between radar "centers", transponder off, route already programmed to fly gps coordinates to the Indian ocean, then turn south... the climb to 45,000 was to kill the passengers (turn off pressurization) - I think he expired with everyone else at that time and the rest of the flight was on flight director control until fuel expired. I think they will find it at the end of the southern red arc (or close to it).

Sad, but it's my theory based on what we know (and no REAL info is being released) - only when they find it and the black boxes will we really know.
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Old 03-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
I tend to agree. The timing of the transponder and ACARS being disabled, then the turn, and nothing after that. I have no idea if the cabin can be vented and the oxygen masks prevented from dropping. That would be key to this scenario.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 03-22-2014, 02:26 AM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I tend to agree. The timing of the transponder and ACARS being disabled, then the turn, and nothing after that. I have no idea if the cabin can be vented and the oxygen masks prevented from dropping. That would be key to this scenario.
You can depressurize the airplane. Not sure about keeping the pax oxygen masks from deploying, I'm a freight guy. The ACARS circuit breaker is not an obvious one, it's not labeled the way you think it might be.
Dan767 is online now Find More Posts by Dan767

Quick Reply