logo
This thread is privately moderated by grassie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by grassie
South Africa, GP, Centurion
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
Whoops!
Still the Eagle

I think it is general knowledge that Christen Eagles are a bit of a hand full. Mine does not disappoint in this regard. After altering the incidence of the wings to almost what I wanted, I took it out for a flight. It flew much better but is still tucking a bit to the undercarriage. So that little bit I thought I am getting away with, it is not going to happen.
The approach was picture perfect and what happened after that is not quite clear!?

See the wheels touched down lightly, in fact perfectly, not a bumper, nice and smooth. The next moment all hell broke lose and all I could do was watch!

It got airborne again, dropped the left wing, hitting the tail on the runway, then the left wings, nose went flying, right wings, .......and all was over! Or shall I say my plane was all over.

My two friends and I stood there looking at each other, not knowing or believing what we just witnessed. Then the expert in all of us came forward and we all had theories and explanations on what happened. All I can think is that the eagle might have been a tad heavy in the tail.

It is fixed again, with some proper support struts for the engine box which by the way was very thin and in my opinion to flimsy to carry the GP 61. I need to put all the paraphernalia back where it belongs and shim those wings properly, then make sure the nose is slightly heavy, just ever so slightly, else it is going to nose over again, and it will be good to go again.

I was to embarrassed to take pictures of the broken bird, but will post some before and after pics this time.
grassie is offline Find More Posts by grassie
Last edited by grassie; 09-09-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-26-2014, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by grassie
South Africa, GP, Centurion
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
This is how the nose broke out after a very gingerly bounce and cartwheel.
grassie is offline Find More Posts by grassie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply