logo
Old 10-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2006
1,444 Posts
Announce
FG Exclusive - Quique Somenzini, David Ribbe and Dan Asher - Flex Innovations

I received a message from my old friend and hero Quique Somenzini. After a long hiatus from the RC industry he was ready to talk about his latest venture with David Ribbe (formerly the aircraft category vice president at Horizon Hobby) and Dan Asher. Quique and Dave both took some time off from the hobby industry and no one really knew what they were up to. Today you will hear for the first time what their plans are. I think the assumption is that they would form a new airplane company but once you start reading the interview below you will realize they are doing much more than that. It's always good for the hobby to have more companies making quality products and with guys like these it should be exciting to see what is in store!

Jim T: When did your team decide you wanted to start a new RC venture?

David Ribbe: For me, it was a bit of a journey. I had thought about it for a long time, but had a good career and was slow to act on it. I left my previous job without a specific plan and with the feeling that I would weigh starting a new venture against whatever opportunities came up. The combination of feeling there were opportunities in the market, and having Quique and Dan as complimentary partners convinced me that a new venture was the best decision.

Quique Somezini: QQAC was my first experience designing and manufacturing, something I really enjoyed doing with my good friend Wayne Ulery. This time it is different and at major scale, so I can say this is truly a new R/C venture. During these years I’ve gathered more experience and learned more about our hobby and it opened my vision and passion to other segments of the hobby. Now, with this wider vision and greater range of products to work on, my passion has expanded and my motivation to start a new company was very strong! That in combination with a strong support of my wife, my family, and my great partnership with David and Dan completed the recipe to go for a life-long dream.

Dan Asher: I had a vision to make a new company and create something special with other friends that had the same vision. I also saw an opportunity in the market for some really unique and different kinds of products.

Jim T: Tell us about the new company.

David Ribbe: Flex Innovations, as the name suggests, is designed to be Flexible and Innovative. Of course we are a small company and it will take time to execute our plans. While starting with RC Aircraft products that are close to our traditional strengths, we choose not to limit ourselves to one area. We have experience in a broad range of consumer products and will consider doing products in any category we can reach. We have brands to help divide the products. At this time we have three RC focused brands:
Premier Aircraft
Potenza
Top Value RC

Jim T: Tell us about Flex Innovations team.

Quique Somezini: The core team is David Ribbe, Dan Asher and I. I’ve been involved in this industry for long time and I must say I am very fortunate to be part of the Flex Innovations team. We have a small team but it is formed by very talented and passionate individuals. Our manufacturers and distributors are very experienced, detail oriented and passionate people. The best of all is that we are all hobbyist!

David Ribbe: We are also fortunate to be working with some other great talent in the USA and abroad.

Jim T: What makes Flex Innovations unique?

Dan Asher: When you take 3 guys that have the same dream, vision, experience and energy and diverse abilities. This will definitely make us stand out from other companies.

Jim T: What types of planes will you carry?

Quique Somezini: Jim I will not give you the details of our business plan! Just let me say that the whole Flex Innovations team it is very excited and motivated to bring the market aircraft for different levels of pilot skill and flying experience.

Jim T: Will you also carry multirotors and helis?

David Ribbe: Of course, we cannot discuss details and future plans, but as you can tell from the description of the company we are certainly interested in a broad range of product segments. If we can add value, and innovate, and it makes business sense, then we would consider it.

Jim T: Will you carry more than just planes?

Dan Asher: Absolutely. We plan to produce high quality aircraft as well as support that goes with the planes including batteries, chargers, servos, motors etc. any other plans will be revealed later.

Jim T: Will there be US shipping?

David Ribbe: Yes, at this time in the US we will be shipping from our US reseller, Falcon Hobby Supply.

Jim T: When can we start purchasing products from Flex?

Dan Asher: You will be able to pre-order by mid-October and be able to purchase some of our products by early December time frame.

Jim T: Is there anything you would like to tell everyone out there that is chomping at the bit to purchase product from you?

Quique Somenzini: The Flex Innovations team it is geared to produce the best possible products. Through our brands we would provide products from low end to high end. All of them will have the same foundation - to bring the customer the best possible value and customer service. So if someone is thinking about purchasing our products, I will say give Flex Innovations and its brands Potenza, Premier Aircraft and Top Value RC a try! We have carefully selected our US and International resellers to provide a supportive and efficient customer service for our full line of products.

Conclusion
There you have it. That is some pretty huge news from some heavy hitters in the RC industry! Thanks to Quique, David and Dan for taking time out to talk us. We look forward to what Flex Innovations releases in the coming months!

The Flex Innovations website goes live today and this is the first link to it!
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 10-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Scale Aerobatic Pilot
Joined Jul 2011
4,317 Posts
Awesome!
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 10-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by g_mkoch
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2010
218 Posts
Nice to see QQ back
g_mkoch is offline Find More Posts by g_mkoch
Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by helivflyer
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
737 Posts
I can't wait to see their company grow.
Great job and thank you for sharing!
helivflyer is offline Find More Posts by helivflyer
Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by Jim Woodward
Joined Feb 2006
1,206 Posts
Congratulations and good luck!
Jim
Jim Woodward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Woodward
Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by Dave Levett
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2008
225 Posts
Some how I was kind of expecting more, based on all of the hype.
Having said that, I wish them well with this new venture.

Dave
Dave Levett is offline Find More Posts by Dave Levett
Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by alfycat
TARECOS AeroClub
Costa Rica
Joined Apr 2007
1,020 Posts
Good for the hobby.
Congratulations and good luck on this adventure!
alfycat is offline Find More Posts by alfycat
Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,638 Posts
Congratulations guys and best of luck!
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Big congratulations, I wish you all the best!
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,584 Posts
Looks like a nitroplanes cessna...

Glad to see QQ back in the mix. I wish them great success!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by The Gardener
Metallizedô
Riga, Latvia
Joined Oct 2006
576 Posts
Re branded chargers (Like Hobbyking's re, re branded Eco touch? ) where is the world rolling nowadays. Innovative hobbywing chinese esc's..
No thanks, I'll go castle and axi
The Gardener is offline Find More Posts by The Gardener
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,227 Posts
Private labeling of hardware is quite commonplace in this industry. I wouldn't turn my nose up to the practice as it could possibly surprise many that their favorite XYZ brand is made in the same factory(ies) as other lesser known "brands"

Good luck to Flex Inno.
Nothing wrong with cutting a contract with the various Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean manufacturing houses to come out with a new private label.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by jclaude
Belgium
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
Hi guys,

I wish you all the best for your new company.

I like the aerobatic model...

Regards,
jclaude is offline Find More Posts by jclaude
Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by smokdup
Murfreesboro TN
Joined Nov 2008
217 Posts
Good luck Guys but where's my $500, I guest right. ..lol
smokdup is offline Find More Posts by smokdup
Old 10-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle